Sunday, May 24, 2009

37 week appointment

Just waiting...

Thanks to Nat I have this tiny picture from that weekend

So Neal was out of town for my 37 week appointment so his Mom Betty went with me. I left straight from school and picked her up. Let me just note that I left my classroom a mess, and was going to start my maternity leave plans the next day. Okay, so we go off to the hospital with my fat feet and knees. The school nurse had taken my bp that day, and it was a little high, but I didn't think anything of it. So the nurse at the OB office takes my bp twice and weighs me. I had gained 7 pounds in a week. That added up to 15 pounds in three weeks. That is a ton of weight for the the last trimester. Still, the nurse didn't say anything. So I go in and meet with a new doctor. My office rotates so I had to meet everyone. She came in and basically said that I had preeclampsia and that they were going to have to run some labs, and that I was going to be admitted right then. What??? It took all I had to not freak out and start crying. I kept my cool, and called Neal who was 3 hours away. Luckily my mother-in-law was there! I would have totally lost it. I felt so nauseous from the nerves, and was just in shock when the doctor said that I could be having the baby that weekend(my appointment was on a Thursday.) So scary. So I was admitted and my doctor told me that I would have to be on hospital bed rest until the following Thursday because of the high bp. Poor Neal had to sleep there on the worst bed ever. So my parents decided to drive up and arrived on Saturday. At this point we were still thinking it was the following week. Well apparently my bp was going up, and my platelets were low so my doctor called me on Sunday at 10pm and told me that I would be delivering the next morning and that they were going to go ahead and give the thing that makes your cervix ripen that night. Gulp! I felt sick again. I was so scared and nervous. My legs started shaking. So begins a crazy night and day that I never would have predicted.

No comments: